canary islands low intervention organic spain

Envínate ‘Benje Blanco’ 2017 & ‘Benje Tinto’ 2017

Winery: Friends and innovative winemakers Roberto Santana, Alfonso Torrente, Laura Ramos, and José Martínez created Envínate [meaning ‘Wine Yourself’] in 2005. They focus on distinctive, old vine parcels mainly in the Canary Islands and the Atlantic influenced regions of Ribeira Sacra. Super low intervention, farming is done using organic methods, all grapes are hand harvested and foot-stomped. Fermentation is with wild yeasts and a varying percentage of whole grape clusters are included.

Philosophy: “Their collective aim is to make profoundly pure and authentic wines that express the terruño of each parcel in a clear and concise manner.”

Envínate ‘Benje Blanco’ Ycoden-Daute-Isora DO 2017

Winemaking: Grapes are from old-vine, ungrafted, untrained [pie franco parcels]. Each parcel is hand-harvested and vinified separately in a mix of concrete tank and open tubs. 75% of the fruit is pressed directly off the skins, the other 25% is skin macerated 14-40 days. Aged 8 months in 60% concrete and 40% old French barriques on fine lees without battonage or added SO2. Unfiltered.

Tasting Notes: Gold in colour, very aromatic with aromas of lemon, honey, hay, pineapple, papaya, candied ginger, coconut, white flowers and smoky minerality. Lemon, lime, kiwi, pineapple and papaya are wrapped in smoky minerality and racy acidity. Pink grapefruit and a whisper of coconut linger on the zippy finish. Bright, engaging and lush.

Listan Blanco
Ycoden-Daute-Isora DO
Tenerife
Spain
Bottled by Envínate S.L.
12% Alcohol
$26

Envínate ‘Benje Tinto’ Ycoden-Daute-Isora DO 2017

Winemaking: Grapes are from old-vine, ungrafted [pie franco parcels] vines at 1,000 meters in elevation. Each parcel is hand-harvested and vinified separately, some in concrete and some in small open tubs. Maceration is 10-30 days (depending on parcel) with daily punch-down; malolactic fermentation is in neutral French barriques, then raised 8 months in the same barrels without battonage or added SO2. Unfined and unfiltered.

Tasting Notes: Transparent ruby red in colour with aromas of strawberry, rose petal, game, candied violet, cinnamon, chipotle pepper and smoky earth. Wild strawberry, red currant, blackberry, smoky earth, black pepper and an herbaceous vein are accented by light black tea tannins and fresh acidity. Mesquite lingers on the dry fruity finish. Intriguing, complex, a lot of moving parts, just fantastic.

Blend of Listan Prieto with a bit of Tintilla
Ycoden-Daute-Isora DO
Tenerife
Spain
Bottled by Envínate S.L.
12% Alcohol
$26

0 comments on “Envínate ‘Benje Blanco’ 2017 & ‘Benje Tinto’ 2017

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: