budget friendly estate bottled italy low intervention organic

Fattoria Selvapiana Chianti Rufina DOCG 2015

Estate: Selvapiana dates back to Medieval times when it was a watchtower along the river Sieve, built to protect the northeastern border of Florence. During the Renaissance the building was enlarged and transformed into a villa as summer residence of noble Florentine families and bishops. In 1827 it was acquired by Michele Giuntini, a successful banker and ancestor of Francesco Giuntini, the present owner and fifth generation to run the property from 1957 to 1997. Francesco was one of the first winemakers in Tuscany to make his Riserva wine from only Sangiovese grapes and to produce the estate’s flagship wine, ‘Bucerchiale’ from a single vineyard.

The 250 hectare estate is comprised of 58 hectares of vineyards, 36 hectares of olive groves and 140 hectares of woods. The vineyards are located at the foothill of the Apennines. The close proximity to the mountains creates a microclimate in which the grapes ripen slowly, expressing “fresh acidity, great finesse and elegance, silky tannins and a long aftertaste”.

Since 1997 the estate has been run by Francesco Giuntini’s adopted sons, Federico and Silvia, sons of the estate’s manager Franco Masseti, who worked with Francesco from 1953 to 1990.

Winemaking: The estate is certified organic. Vines 15-40+ years in age are in clay, limestone, stony soil that is dry and well drained. Vinified and fermented with indigenous yeasts in stainless steel, aged in large French oak casks.

Tasting Notes: Transparent garnet in colour with aromas of cherry, baking spice, violet leather, and white pepper. Silky tannins and fresh acidity frame cherry, a trace of sour cherry, red currant, plum, tobacco, Tuscan underbrush and crushed black peppercorn. Fruit, spice and a trace of eucalyptus linger on the lengthy finish. Silky and elegant, fantastic on its own or with a wide variety of dishes.

95% Sangiovese, with the remaining 5% a blend of Canaiolo, Colorino and Malvasia Nera
Chianti Rufina DOCG
Italy
Estate Bottled by Federico Giuntini
13.5% Alcohol
$14
Enjoy now thru 2022

0 comments on “Fattoria Selvapiana Chianti Rufina DOCG 2015

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: