The Show Malbec 2010

It was a no-brainer to pick up The Show Malbec 2010 when I happened upon it since I’m a huge fan of The Show Cabernet Sauvignon.  As with the Cabernet, the label is inspired by the iconic show posters of the Nashville Hatch Show prints which were the essence of old school American entertainment for more then 125 years. The Show is the love child of wine entrepreneurs The Three Thieves. Lead by the King of California Zinfandel Joel Gott, the Thieves buck traditional wine trends by purchasing high end varietals and somehow “make their steals available to all.” The result of their constant globe hunting of fantastic wines is the Mendoza Malbec; 85% of the grapes come from El Alto Vineyards in the acclaimed Lujan de Cuyo sub-region, while the other 15% of grapes comes from the Uco Valley, which is south of Lujan de Cuyo, and at an even higher altitude. Adding to their growing legend, The Three Thieves will be staring in their own wine/cooking/travel show premiering 1/27/12 on The Cooking Channel.
I opted to use my brand new aerator, which was part of a wedding present cornucopia from my fantastic co-workers. Dark garnet in colour, autumn aromas of pink peppercorn, cranberry and woodsy oak jumped out of the glass. Big black cherry flavours interwove with jammy blackberry in the full body. The lengthy finish started off with a little bit of heat, but that swiftly gave way to a proper spicyness of pink peppercorn.  Fortified by hearty oak, lighter notes of fruit and vanilla carried though to the very end. A thoughtful amount of acidity delivers a refreshing bit of dryness so that the fruit is not overpowering. My yummy dinner of butternut squash ravioli with browned sage butter highlighted a sleepy toasty vanilla that added a sense of cohesion to each velvety sip.
 
100% Malbec
Mendoza
Argentina
Produced and Bottled by Bodega for Sur Andino Argentina S.A. EXP
14.3% Alcohol
$11
Enjoy now through 2014

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s